Wednesday, November 7, 2012

King Kamehameha & the rainforest valley

Dean and Melinda came to get us Sunday afternoon to visit the town of Hiwa and the statute of King Kamehameha. Kamehameha, known as "the stone crab", is reponsible for conquering Hawaii and establishing it as a kingdom. Along with his statues - this one overlooking Hilo Bay - he graces the state quarter of Hawaii. Behind him on the right is the state flag of Hawaii.
Kamehameha's full Hawaiian name is Kalani Paiʻea Wohi o Kaleikini Kealiʻikui Kamehameha o ʻIolani i Kaiwikapu kaui Ka Liholiho Kūnuiākea. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

We headed to the westernmost end of the Big Island to Pololu Valley, site of a rainforest. Wow. That's the only word necessary.

 My aunt Melinda!
 Moonrise at the valley:

A few days later, our group was on the other end of the Pololu Valley at Waipi'o Lookout.
 That would be guava, I'm pretty sure. There was guava everywhere.

 Here is our group, from left: my aunt Susan (who lives in Dallas), my grandmother, your's truly, aunt Melinda and uncle Dean (who live in Tucson):
One of the highlights of my trip to Hawaii was meeting this weaver, Malei Watson, at Waipi'o Valley. She uses coconut leaves to weave baskets and I got a couple of her fish and birds for the kids.
 She had me do the Hawaiian "shaka" sign for "hang loose for our picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment