Monday, November 5, 2012

Hitting Hawaii

I knew the flight would be long but no one told me that planes no longer serve food. Anyone who knows me knows that I have to eat like every two hours or I get a little …. crabby (and that’s putting it mildly). When I set foot in Kona, the first thing I said was I needed a large pizza all to myself, well, that was after “Where are the hula girls giving the leis?”

So my Uncle Dean greeted me with a lei!

First leg of the flight I sat next to this woman going to say goodbye to her sister in Portland who is dying from Hepatitus C from a blood transfusion in the 80s. She and I had a great conversation and I’m hoping I made a new friend in Atlanta.

Second leg had me read about half my book, “Unbroken” by Laura Hillenbrand, on the six hour flight, trying to keep my mind off of really wanting to start chewing the headrest in front of me. Then my seatmates kept the window shade down so I didn’t even get to see the island as we flew in.

I got my pizza with an absolute FRESH tomato and basil. Wow. Loved the food already. My uncle Dean and aunt Melinda and I walked to the beach and looked in the tide pools to see a baby barracuda, crabs and other fish. A sign at the beach said green sea turtles come up to the beach to lie in the sun and rest and not to bother them. Um, define “bother”?
So excited to be here with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment