Monday, July 1, 2013

Panning for gold

Another thing on our list of fun was to go gold panning up near Dahlonega. My dad took me when I was about 12 on a vacation up to North Carolina and I thought the kids would get a kick out of it.
I got a $30 bucket of rocks. Hmm. I wasn't real keen on this concept ...

Get the rocks ...

 Wash the rocks ...
 Then I was immediately met with OOOOO and LOOK!

 Hayes was thrilled with finding her birthstone amethyst.


 Our loot comprised emeralds, rubies, garnets, a tiger eye and lots of pyrite, but no gold.

 On the way home, I whipped into this country store because I wanted the kids to see the shelves and shelves of every imaginable kind of jelly (aside from dandelion and prickly pear, ahem) and Hayes found a gallon bag of banana peppers for $3.50. So she was once again thrilled for the day!
 Cort found and carried the watermelon.

No comments:

Post a Comment