Friday, March 4, 2011

The Daisy turns 10. Her birth story.

My Daisy turned 10 Feb. 21. It's hard to believe I have a 10 year old and I know it'll feel like tomorrow that I'll be saying I can't believe I have a 20 year old or a 30 year old.
The day before she was born, I had gone to work with labor pains and everyone asking me what it was like and I said not bad and they were saying,"So suck it up already." and I'm going: I'm not complaining! I'm at work! Every other woman would already be at the hospital begging for an epidural already. Sheesh.
That night, I walked two miles around the Mall of Georgia, stopping every so often to kind of groan, really not knowing at that time I was in active labor. So I waked at 1 that morning and was terribly sick and it went on like that for several hours until I finally realized,"Hey, I might be in labor." I started a warm bath, which woke my husband, who came in and asked me what was wrong. I gave him that I-would-like-to-kill-you look.
We called the midwife and I labored on the floor of the bathroom, whining that I wanted to go to the hospital until I heard my midwife's car in the driveway. Then I knew I needed to put on my big girl panties and get down to birthing a baby.
So, at 7:50 a.m. on her due date, The Daisy arrived at home, weighing 8 lbs. 8 oz., and came out waving. My newspaper, for whom I was the business editor, did a story on the state of homebirth in Georgia so she was in the papers straightaway. It was quite the controversial story!

Here we are 10 years later ... I gave her a Harry Potter pop-up book. I think it was a hit. The Boo helped make her birthday cake. She loved the sketch pad The Boo gave her. She laughed at the card I found. Some months ago, we got a library book called "Chicken Butt" in which the kid pesters his dad,"You know what?" "What?" "Chicken butt!" So this is what the kids do to me All The Time. And guess what kind of birthday card I found for her? Happy birthday, my baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment