Tuesday, April 10, 2012

80th running of the Carolina Cup

There is nothing I like better than steeplechasing and have been looking forward to this race for weeks as soon as it got warm. My date backed out on me at the last minute but my friend Julie went to the races with me since her son, Kevin, is the official race bugler.

Kevin's friend Becky hung around with us too and we got this picture while I was telling a dirty joke:
Here's jockey Danni Hodsden and I just loved the owner's silks, which is the South Carolina palmetto tree and crescent moon

My friend Ken Furlong has been an outrider for the races for years. I've known Ken for years when he used to ride for trainer Frank Whiteley Jr. and Mr. Whiteley, who HATED reporters, used to let me just hang around his barn.
Julie put up with my walking to the paddock to the grand stand to the paddock to the grand stand all afternoon. We left after Black Jack Blues won The Carolina Cup (like that was a surprise) and went to get her house under control before all the kids arrived from the races inebriated!

Jockeys have to weigh in before and after the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment