Friday, April 8, 2011

75th Carolina Cup

Let me tell you: horses and sunshine and South Carolina. Good to be home again! (Photo of me by Samuel Coles from The Augusta Chronicle) Here are a few pics from the 75th running of the Carolina Cup in Camden last weekend. All the horse pictures are by Jamey Price Photography - I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, but Jamey is now my new favorite steeplechase photographer. These are a much different perspective and quite good. Sunshine Numbers' groom gives trainer Arch Kingsley a fist bump. I love this picture.Sunshine Numbers with Jody Petty up had a wire-to-wire win. It was an amazing run to watch because I thought for certain he'd fade off at the half, but nope. Jody had to look waaaaay over his shoulder to see his competitors and they were all lagging far off the pace so he pulled Sunshine into an easy gallop home.Class Century refused to go out on the course and behaved badly, dumping jockey Xavier Aizpuro here. The he went on to win the race. Go figure.My new Cup friend Marian from Charleston:The final race was for fillies and mares, who are usually uncooperative and more than high strung. I asked starter Barry Watson if I could go out to the start with him and he said sure. Now I was thinking I would ride out to the start line with Barry in the truck and just sit myself in the truck and watch the show. Noooo, I had to pick the start where we were in front of the stands and I was surrounded by 11 flippin' out racehorses. It was like feeding time at home! I will say it was a really interesting perspective and I certainly appreciated that it is an even harder job than I can see from the stands for Barry and his starters and the jockeys to get everything lined up just so for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment