Friday, April 9, 2010

Keeneland racing

Last year by happenstance I met Charlie Pigg at Old Friends retirement farm in Lexington and Charlie happens to be a partner in several Dogwood Stable horses, Dogwood being based out of Aiken, S.C.. Charlie announced to everyone that his own horse, Spoon River Lew, would be racing at Keeneland. Well, how could I be this close and not go and scream my head off for Lew to race his heart out and break his maiden? Off I went.

Here's Lew getting saddled: Here's Charlie making my bet for me. Lew to win, of course! We watched the race from the Dogwood box - Lew had a bad break and got in traffic in his first turn and it was all over. Phooey.

Then I had to do the "Shannon pose" right there in the Keeneland paddock.
This is a Jonathan Sheppard horse I liked and bet on and he paid off!
I interviewed Sheppard a million years ago when I was a reporter in Camden, S.C.

Me and Charlie (Charlie says this is the most smile anyone gets out of him). It was a little windy and cold but any day is a good day for racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment