Sunday, April 21, 2013

Steeplechases: Camden & Atlanta

My annual rite of spring is the steeplechase. It is all the more poignant this year as I'm writing a book about the history of women in steeplechasing and would be "working" at the races.

As I love to do, enjoying the morning gallops is my favorite thing to do:
My pre-race interview was with timber trainer, Alicia Murphy. We went back to the barn where she let me photograph her featured horse of the day, Nondo, whom Hayes really liked back in the fall. So I got his picture to message to Hayes and let her know how much I missed her at the races.

 Here's Nondo saddled before the race with, from left, Alicia, her assistant Tiffany and jockey Mark Beecher. Unfortunately, Nondo pulled a muscle during the race and was pulled up. Alicia texted me that if Hayes were around, Nondo would love her company as long as she came bearing sweet potatoes! Ah, an opportunity missed!
One of my interviews was with trainer, Kate Dalton, who operates a small stable with her jockey husband. Kate is one of those people you like immediately. Nigel, Camden's track announcer, asked Kate to handicap the feature race and she did so well, I said she had another career ahead of her!
 Mid-April came Atlanta's steeplechase and pre-race entertainment were the Budweiser Clydesdales. I couldn't figure out the racecourse to go hang around with them, which is a pity.
 And just a random shot from the races. Usually, I am spot-on picking winners during steeplechase. This day I went 0-7!




No comments:

Post a Comment