Monday, July 5, 2010

Watching Lou Brissie run

As usual, I tend to invite myself along on any foray into horse racing or touring farms and, again, my friend Charlie Pigg was agreeable (or too polite to say no!). So the kids and I went to Churchill Saturday to see the Dogwood Stables partnership horse Lou Brissie run.
That horse ran his heart out and was beaten, fair and square, by Kantharos but came in a good second and everyone seemed pleased with his race. At 2, he's just getting started and I imagine we've yet to see the best of him.
Here's Lou getting saddled by trainer Neil Howard:

And the jockey getting insructions from Neil. (I just had to counsel my friend Jennifer that the clothing is referred to as "silks," not pajamas and, no, they are not stupid-looking.)
Surprise of all surprises was my friend Mary Jane Howell from Dogwood! And here's Dogwood's owner Cot Campbell: For me, meeting Mr. Campbell is like someone meeting his or her favorite actor. I didn't go all stupid but I did gush a bit upon meeting him - I think he is so smart having started racing partnerships!

Of course, here's us with Charlie. Thank you, Charlie, for letting us hang out with your family and watch Lou run a good race!

No comments:

Post a Comment